Postiglione is situated at 600 m above the sea-level on Alburni Mountains. They are called the “Dolomiti of the South” because the rocks look pink at sunset.
The town is surrounded by wonderful landscapes and it is surmounted by a castle. The woods are rich of Turkey oaks and broad-leaved trees and copses. The territory is crossed by Calore, Tanagro and Sele rivers.
The town was founded during Middle Ages and there are still beautiful palaces of that period, for example the Church of San Giorgio with a Latin cross shape without transept and the Norman castle with two Baroque towers.
Saint Elias Feast is very nice.
The town was founded during Middle Ages as the Norman castle of XI century testifies.
This feud was ruled by many different feudatories and there were many fights between the population and the local rulers.
Postiglione, together with Controne, entered the Real Sito di Persano in 1758 and it belonged to it until the end of Bourbon government.
In 1799 and during the French decade Postiglione was disputed by the most powerful noble families that had understood the great potentialities of this territory.
In 1943 the castle was used by Germans to control the landing of Allied Forces.
FOLKLORE AND EVENTS
• Saint Elias Feast (May)
• The Way of the Cross (Good Friday)
MONUMENTS AND NATURAL BEAUTIES
• The Castle, built in XI century, used for many cultural events
• San Nicola bell tower of XIV century
• Castagne della Corte, where the Bourbonic graveyard is
• Annunziata Church, called Madonna del Carmine. It keeps a beautiful bust of Saint Elias
• San Giorgio Church built in 1500. The design is that of a Latin cross, there is a precious tabernacle of 1517, an elegant wood statue portraying Saint Nicholas and, on the main altar, a statue of Saint George killing the dragon made in XVIII century
• Piazza Europa, former Orto della Corte
• Fontana dei Gradini, with two lateral basins. In the central niche there is a beautiful marble sculpture portraying a girl made by Pietro Calvi in 1863
• Grotta di Sant’Elia, a small cave with the XVIII century statue of the Saint
• A secular poplar in front of the Town Hall of which the town is very proud
• Sant’Angelo wood
testi: Stefania Maffeo